Wednesday 13 November 2013

Arrivals and depatures

Early last week we welcomed back two cats, and another arrived midweek. It's been a busy few weeks! 

Firstly I was really pleased to see Ares, our male jaguar returning. He had gone up to Paradise Wildlife Park (PWP) on a brief "holiday." I say "holiday" because he was filling a gap. This is common practice in the zoo world, when a zoo has an empty enclosure (following death or dispersal to other collections) animals are often brought in temporarily to fill that gap. Ares had gone to fill an empty enclosure whilst Paradise were waiting for their new jaguars (soon to arrive).  

Narnia
With Ares came Narnia, a female white tiger, who had also been at PWP. She had been in with a male white tiger (non-breeding) who sadly was too energetic for the grumpy lady who didn't appreciate his playful nature. She had been with us at WHF before now, but this was the first chance I had to meet her and I am really looking forward to working with her.

Finally came the arrival of Kushka from Marwell. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting her yet, but I did see her a few months back when I visited Marwell. She is another stop-gap tiger who I believe was filling a gap left by a now sadly deceased male. Photos of her will come shortly (I hope!).   

That's not the end for cat moves this month, like I say we've been busy! The end of this week will see our remaining Sumatran tiger cub (two-year old) leaving us to start his new life in France. I will be very sad to see Toba leaving, and will really miss him, he is such a character and has been so much fun to work with. His new zoo are very lucky to have him, and I will definitely be going to see him. 

Toba









No comments:

Post a Comment