Saturday 7 September 2013

Construction day

Athena grump
Construction is perhaps an area of work that I've never enjoyed, or at least never been good at enough to enjoy. So when I arrived at WHF this morning and discovered I was on the construction team I didn't feel particular warm and fuzzy inside thinking about it. However, I must say that today was great fun, and it felt very productive. I just wish that the recipient cat showed as much enthusiasm for the work as we did.... 

Following the departure of the male jaguar (Ares) to Paradise Park earlier this month we have been busy planning and creating a lovely renovated enclosure for the female jaguar (Athena). The whole of her side of the enclosure was ripped out, leaving us with a blank canvas (picture 1). Our task for the morning was to build a raised platform and enclose it to form a three sided, sheltered box.

Pic. 1. Before

Lots of drilling and many screws later....

Pic. 2. Half way. Floor and roof + half a side up.

Cup of tea and a few more screws and even more drilling and finally...

Pic. 3. One cosy shelter
We were all really pleased with the results. I'm not sure we'd win any prizes, but it was strong enough to hold a person without any problems (ok, so not a jaguar but we can hope!). Athena wasn't too happy with our work, she spent most of the day sulking... I just hope when she eventually sees the completed project she'll appreciate our hard work - and if not at least we had fun making it before she ripped it to shreds!


No comments:

Post a Comment